Sunday, December 6, 2009

MAD MEN


This morning I awoke thinking the Kenosha News was due to feature David Heide in its “Sunday Morning With...” column. I wasn't disappointed. I have long enjoyed and admired this writer. I had the pleasure of talking with him on the occasion of his author-mother's well deserved, 'Florence Heide Day.' David is, as his articles suggest, a friendly individual, unafraid to share his innermost thoughts, affording his readers a sense of knowing him personally.

For me, his real gift is that of making me look at myself and my own life experience. Today, he critiqued the TV series “Mad Men” and seemed to be struggling with its popularity. He is probably wasting his time. You have to be my age to really get into this show. It is uncanny how they have captured the essence of the business world of the 50's, 60's & 70's-- the morals, ambitions, priorities and habits most of us shared. I wince at some of the painfully accurate scenes, for example: drinking before noon, cigarette smoke blown in clients' faces, obsession with looking sharp, always being right, neglecting children and wives— many having a mistress. There was a barely disguised disdain for women who moved beyond the rank of receptionist or secretary. Successful women were accused of using flirtatious behavior to make deals. Perhaps, the most vivid reminder is of the 'tax deductible martini lunches,' which, far exceeding the customary hour, guaranteed an excruciating hangover the following day. Oh, how we suffered for the sake of our careers. While, not nearly so successful as 'Donald Draper,' I, flamboyantly, paraded his gigantic ego.

David, you had to be there...



Terry Tynan
Kenosha
terrytynan@att.net

No comments:

Post a Comment