Sunday, December 6, 2009

Area's Best Kept Secret

I wonder how many of my fellow seniors realize they can attend classes at one of the finest colleges in the Midwest--absolutely free. I always thought of UW-Parkside as a place to see great foreign films on the cheap and watch the Northwestern Wildcats football summer camp. I recently learned that, because of my advanced years, I can audit two courses per semester on any subject that interests me. No credits towards a degree, but, neither are there any exams, assignments, grades or other stresses so well remembered. Besides the joy of learning, I am participating in a never-ending parade of concerts, lectures, films, sports events, exhibits, clubs and discussion groups. All this takes place in a state-of-the-art environment with very talented people ranging from learned academics to accomplished softball pitchers. The adrenalin of Parkside's campus life is, of course, the students. Old and young, from all corners of the earth they move through the halls with a jovial confidence that strongly suggests our future is in very capable hands. Did I mention that Parkside is one of the friendliest places I have ever been in my life? For the person who is retired, yet doesn't really want to be, I say, come back to school and feel younger every day.

Terry Tynan

No comments:

Post a Comment